Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon

I finally did it! I ran a half marathon! The goal time I wanted to run the 13.1 miles in was 2 hours. I made it over the finish line at 2:09. So close! I will still count it as a victory! That was so hard. It was much harder than I thought it would be. Wow those last 3.1 miles really makes a difference! After the race I was having a really hard time walking my legs were so worn out.

7:50 am, San Jose. There was horrible traffic on the way and so we arrived way later than I wanted to and had to run to the starting line. I just counted that as my warm up. I didn't get to stretch though as much as I would have liked to.

There were 12,000 runners in this race. I never imagined it being so packed. We didn't even cross the starting line until 4 min after the race had started because there were so many people. Luckily I found Brooke with the help of Jon and Eric right before the race started. I would raise my hand up in the air and look at them on the side and they would point me to her direction until I found her.

Where's Waldo/Diana? I am the only one looking at the camera! There are so many people!


The boys met us at mile 4. I was still feeling pretty strong at this point and was so excited to see Jon cheering for me!

Check out our medals!

Yeah we are pretty much awesome!



This is me crossing the finish line. If you look closely I look like I am about to fall over and am totally slouching. At this point I was having to mentally thing about every foot step I was taking. (I am wearing black pants and a white tank top and a black hat)

The post race ice bath to decrease inflammation and soreness in my leg muscles. Jon helped shove me in because I was having a hard time making myself do it, but now I am so glad that I did!

14 comments:

B&K said...

Yay!!! Congratulations for finishing the race and with such a great time:-) I know, the end of the marathon hurts but keeping walking and stretching out your muscles and you'll be perfecto again. Love ya!

Kory said...

Good job! I was over there yesterday, but by the time I got there I had to turn around and go back to the airport.

Sarah Larsen said...

I'm so proud of you!! How exciting! Except you still haven't called me back to tell me all about it!

Lisa and Mark said...

Yay for you! Someday I'll have the guts to try something like that...

Susie said...

great job D! and thanks for putting it on the blog too so we could see some of the pictures.

Amy said...

oh wow! Only you could do something like that, I just woke up from a nap and need to go back to sleep because you made me so tired just reading it. GOOD JOB!

Susie said...

Are you the one in the video who stops running the instant she crosses the line?

Diana and Jon said...

No I kept running a couple of seconds after. I am kind of in the middle, running slow.

Anonymous said...

wow~ way to go D~
you are awsome~ ^ ^

Adrie said...

You are amzing girl, Congratulations and way to go!!!

Rachel Mae said...

Wahoo! Way to go. That doesn't sound easy, but you did it!

saraH said...

wow proud of ya, that's awesome! That'll be my goal someday... :)

and yay you'll be down here! yes yes let's definitely meet up! i want to see you!

Lyndee said...

Diana! A half marathon, congrats! What a great accomplishment. I hope you guys are loving CA. Hows dental school treating ya?

MeKell and Aaron said...

Good to see you! Holy cow, you are one tough cookie!! Glad to see everything looks like it's going well down in CA! Pretty much the same old, same old here. You are not missing out on much.